Re: MD MOQ and Human Variation

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 22:16:38 BST

    Hi Vito,

    Your wrote,
    > Modern racism and the valued binary oppositions of the modernity (e.g.,
    > we/them, white/black, civilized/barbaric, masculine/feminine,
    > modern/archaic) were cemented during the colonial era in order to
    > legitimize asymmetric powerstructures, the colonization, the slavery and
    > slaughters of native americans etc. These valued binary oppositions are
    > still vital parts in contemporary discourses.

    I'm not sure if you place little value on the specific binary opposites
    you listed or all binary opposites. If the latter, I'm sure you realize
    that good/bad, moral/immoral, better/worse are binary opposites that you
    employ by implication in your statement. In fact, binary opposites are
    essential to thinking. The intellectual level couldn't exist without them.
    A child's intellectual development begins when she exclaims loudly, "No."

    Best,
    Platt