Re: MD Coherence and the situationsists.

From: gav (gav_gc@yahoo.com.au)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 13:14:25 BST

    hey mark,
    interesting stuff.

    --- Valuemetaphysics@aol.com wrote: > The Question of
    Organization for the Situationist
    > International
    > Guy Debord, April 1968
    > Translated by Point Blank, 1972
    >
    > 8. Since we have never considered the SI to be a
    > goal in itself, but as a
    > moment of historical activity, the force of things
    > now leads us to prove it. The
    > "coherence" of the SI is the relationship, directed
    > towards coherence, between
    > all the theses that have been formulated, between
    > them and our action, as
    > well as our solidarity on many, but not all, of the
    > questions about which each of
    > us must engage the responsibility of others. It
    > cannot be a kind of mastery
    > that is guaranteed to anybody, because this person
    > would then gain the
    > reputation of having acquired our theoretical bases
    > so well that he [sic] would
    > automatically glean an exemplary line of conduct
    > from them. It cannot be a demand
    > for an equal excellence of all on all questions or
    > operations, and even less can
    > it be a recognition of such excellence.
    >
    > 9. Coherence is acquired and verified by egalitarian
    > participation in the
    > totality of a common practice, which simultaneously
    > reveals mistakes and supplies
    > remedies -- this practice requires formal meetings
    > to arrive at decisions,
    > the transmission of all information, and the
    > examination of all stated failures.

    sounds like praxis (complementary theory and practice)
    and participative democracy....you think?

    i looked into coherence a few years ago but in a
    physics sense. i must admit not all of it sunk in,
    perhaps you can give me some examples of coherence,
    perhaps at various levels.

    cheers
    gav

    ps know what you mean re sartre and de beauvoir. the
    roads to freedom trilogy is pretty good (well so far
    as i have got - book 2, the reprieve)

    pps sartre changed tack after being and nothingness.
    in 'search for a method' he comes up with a new
    ontology that looks very similar to a DQ/sq model.

    ppps i wrote a philosophy paper on sartre that
    explores his work and its relationship to the MOQ.
    will post it if i can find it.

    http://au.movies.yahoo.com