RE: MD The Final Cut

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 20:03:18 BST

    Horse said:
    What the hell are you doing? Over the last few weeks this list has
    degenerated into a name-calling arena and it's going to stop. Are any of you
    seriously going to try and defend the utter garbage that's been appearing of
    late? ..."You're a fascist" ..."You're a commie" ...Blah, Blah, Blah.

    dmb says:
    I can only speak for myself, of course. Its not that I've missed your point,
    but would like to assert my right to use the word "fascist". Most of the
    time people use it as an insult without really knowing the actual meaning of
    the word or a thing about its various historical appearances. I'd like to
    assure you and everyone else that I do not use the word as an insult. It may
    not be very flattering to be described as a fascist, and my particular views
    about who and what constitutes a fascists is certainly open for discussion,
    (My understanding of the word comes from conventional places like the
    dictionary and from history books, but also from Pirsig's MOQ) but I do not
    use the word as a term of abuse. So, I would insist the right of anyone to
    use the word whenever it is practical in making a case or a point.

    Seriously.

    Thanks.

    dmb