Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 20:24:19 BST

    Hi Mel,

    > It might be more valid to ask if you want to have a limited number of
    > static markets weighed down by governmental employees who will only work so
    > hard and don't really care, on the one hand? Or, do you want a more dynamic
    > system of dynamic markets populated by more efficient visions and dedicated
    > people who have a passion for realizing their small niches? (~70% of
    > businesses)

    Personally I prefer a dynamic system of dynamic markets with as little
    government interference and intrusion as possible, which means practically
    none. For people to realize their small niches, they must make a profit--a
    dirty word to those inclined to think they know what's best for others and
    have no compunctions imposing their views using the police powers of the
    state.

    > Most of the "sins" of capitalism quoted in the prior discussions were
    > really just inferior and selfish uses of technology, which is equally bad
    > in any system, or the will by a small group to dominate others with a power
    > differential. This is always reprehensible under coercion whether as
    > slave-wages in a depressed area or as political prisoners in a non-free
    > system.

    There's a significance difference between coercion of low wages and
    coercion by a police state. Low wages are always relative. What may be low
    in the U.S. may be high in Shrilanka. Police states, however, are the same
    all over. They throw political opponents in jail or worse, Cuba being an
    nearby example. (Slaves don't earn wages: everything they earn is taken
    from them against their will.)

    No matter how you slice it, the moral principles of dynamism and freedom
    that take top billing in the MOQ are best served by free markets. Pirsig
    says so in no uncertain terms.

    Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. I look forward to more.

    Best,
    Platt