Re: MD the metaphysics of self-interest

From: ml (mbtlehn@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 18:37:20 BST

    Platt / Paul

    <snip>>
    >All economics, the production and distribution of
    >goods and services, is "social quality" is it not?

    This statement puzzles me somewhat.
    It seems to hide too much...
    Taking it apart, it seems that economy is
    the aggregate behavior of markets,
    a market is the aggregate behavior of the
    people and organizations participating in
    that market (clear enough as "social"),
    but at the level of people acting it looks
    different.

    Creating a production process is an act of
    dynamic intellect to establishing a static
    reality of the "intellectual design." The
    purpose of which is to allow a "society" of
    workers to act upon the physical resources
    by way of the system to ensure an efficient,
    effective, static production requiring little
    dynamic attention.

    Service businesses are even more an example
    of "dynamic" intellectual work. Services are
    often never repeated in a given situation. (e.g.
    programing a business specific application.
    or removing a brain tumor)

    So there are distinctly intellectual and physical
    components. Am I over thinking it or do these
    bear consideration to avoid oversimplifying?

    > > Society has largely succeeded in controlling
    >>these biological impulses but it seems clear
    >>to me that intellect has not yet managed to
    >>control man's obsession with social quality.
    >
    > Seems to me Western society is still at war with
    >biological impulses called "terrorism" sanctioned
    >by radical Islam society.

    Islam, as a religion, exists on three levels:
    Social - all the rules for behavior
    Intellectual - their dogma and writ
    Spiritual - their personal experience beyond intellection.

    Those twisted authority figures who selfishly preach jihad
    by cowardice (sorry for the editorial) are acting as social
    authority and not simply at a biological level. It really puts
    us in a problem relationship. Two genuine social level
    systems are in collision.

    In the West the intellectual is still wearing training wheels
    and has trouble controlling the Social, but in the Islamic
    Arabic world, their intellect is still in the crib and not in any
    position to control anything in the aggregate or just one
    little group in each mosque at a time.

    I do not mean to sound insulting, but there is no central
    structure in Islam, it is as diffuse as fundamentalist
    ministers in the U old good S of A, each one is a pope.

    thanks--mel

    MD Queries -