RE: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 23:17:17 BST

    On 9 Jul 2004 at 16:14, Platt Holden wrote:

    ...History as proven time and time again
    that "helping" others has caused untold misery...

    Those who help are always in a position of power over the helpless
    and the helpless know it. This not only feeds the helper's ego but
    causes resentment on the part of the helpless. No one choose to be
    helpless except those who fake helplessness to attain favors from
    gullible helpers.

    We really don't know how to help others without being arrogant (I
    know what's best for you), prescient (I can see foresee all
    consequences) and paternalistic (you depend on me.) All these feed
    the do-gooder's ego. He needs for people to be down so he can feel
    up. He wants to be admired for his compassion and unselfishness. Most
    of all, he enjoys the power of being in a position to help.

    msh says:
    Yep, we're just about all the way through the looking glass now.
    People who spend their lives helping others less fortunate than
    themselves are selfish. People who spend their lives maximizing
    their personal wealth without regard for anyone else are at the
    pinnacle of morality.

    Orwell would be tickled pink. Pirsig, if he were dead, would be
    spinning in his grave.

    Good luck,
    msh
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'