RE: MD Rush Limbaugh and Intellectual Quality.

From: Dan Glover (daneglover@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 20:48:17 BST

    Hello everyone

    >From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: MD Rush Limbaugh and Intellectual Quality.
    >Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:45:13 EDT
    >
    >On 10 Jul 2004 at 2:02, Dan Glover wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Arlo
    > >
    > > Rather than complaining that others aren't reading your posts,
    > > perhaps you should spend a little more time digesting the posts
    > > yourself.
    >
    >Dear Dan,
    >Please contemplate the following assertion:
    >"Rush Limbaugh displays higher intellectual Quality than Noam Chomsky."

    Hi Mark

    I've never heard Rush Limbaugh speak nor have I read his work. It's not that
    I believe it has no merit but rather I just don't have time to read
    everything. Media-wise, I don't own a tv and I only listen to Cubs games and
    alternative rock on the radio. I dislike talk shows intensely, almost as
    much as Internet chat rooms.

    Noam Chomsky on the other hand I'm quite familiar with though I tend to
    gravitate more towards his linguistic work rather than his polictical.

    >1. Would you agree that any individual holding this view is arguably not
    >evincing an adequate appreciation of what the MOQ would suggest
    >intellectual
    >Quality to be?

    I don't think I'm qualified to answer due to my unfamiliarity with Limbaugh.

    >2. If one adds to the above assertion a further assertion claiming the
    >works
    >of Noam Chomsky to be unworthy of intellectual investigation, would you
    >agree
    >that it is arguably fair to complain that some time should have been spent
    >reading Chomsky before making the first assertion, it being understood that
    >no
    >works had been at all read?

    See my answer to #1.

    >3. Further to 1 and 2, is it not unreasonable to suggest that the
    >individual
    >in question has adopted, and is currently employing an open strategy of
    >avoiding challenging material, and is thus exhibiting a disregard for
    >intellectual
    >Quality while perversely claiming to uphold intellectual Quality?

    See my answer to #1.

    Thank you for your comments,

    Dan

    MSN Life Events gives you the tips and tools to handle the turning points in
    your life. http://lifeevents.msn.com