Re: [Spam] Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 23:08:28 BST

    Hi Dan, et al,

    On 10 Jul 2004 at 14:12, Dan Glover wrote:
    >msh butts in:
    >Dan, no one is denying that a bussiness must make money to stay in
    >business. That would be silly and, here, is an obvious straw man.

    Hi Mark

    I find it rather silly too. So we agree the priority of any for
    profit business is to make money.

    >msh
    >The question is, how much profit, and at what actual cost to other
    >individuals, communities, environments. In other words, what is the
    >net result in Quality for all.

    dan:
    Back to the example of MRS (Mythical Restoration Services) I had
    thought everyone would find it immoral and downright illegal to use
    undocumented workers to perform the work. It'is against the law! Such
    a practice allows the business owner to make a greater profit than a
    business that follows the law and hires only documented employees
    even though the wages for such workers must be higher and
    consequently the job quotations must also be higher. If the business
    owner doesn't care to follow the law of the land then why should they
    care about the individual, the community or the environment?

    In addition, where is the equal playing field that Robert Pirsig
    talks about? Isn't that what the law is supposed to maintain?

    msh says:
    I find nothing here to disagree with. Was I supposed to?

    >msh
    >The broader issue, from a MOQ perspective, is whether or not
    >unrestricted "free-enterprise" is the highest Quality way or
    >organizing any community's economy.

    dan:
    I don't think anyone is talking about unrestricted free enterprise.
    There must be a level playing field though.

    msh says:
    O... I dunno. I think at least one person is talking about
    unrestricted free enterprise, whether or not there's a level playing
    field.

    Best,
    Mark-H
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'