Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 15:53:15 BST

    Hi all,

    On 11 Jul 2004 at 2:30, Arlo J. Bensinger wrote:
    But having to reclarify basic positions (favoring free-markets,
    supporting wages being tied to labor practices, earning money is ok
    it's just not the highest good, balance not socially regulated
    uniformity...) because these positions did not seem to fall neatly
    into a "modern capitalism" versus "evil" dichotomy was becoming
    unenjoyable. The complete recasting of my comments on the Monomyth
    was about as far as I could taket the reclarifying. It was
    frustration, not disrespect. At least it was intended as such.

    msh says:
    I just want to say that respect needs to be mutual. When someone
    spends a lot of time and thought in offering criticism of my
    philosophical position, my respectful response would be to rebut the
    criticism, or change my mind.

    Here's how I put it in an earlier post re friend Vogel:

    "At first, I reasoned with him. I showed him precisely why
    it's fair to refer to his "religion" as racist. He offered no
    rebuttal and instead launched a boiler-plate diatribe totally devoid
    of original thought. Then he continued to tell everyone his religion
    is not racist. If he neither responds to argument nor changes his
    mind then he's not really interested in changing his mind. Which in
    turn means he's using this forum to advance an indefensible agenda,
    not for honest philosophical investigation. At that point, I see no
    reason not to have some fun with him."

    The idea here applies generally, I think.

    Best to all,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983