RE: MD the metaphysics of self-interest

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 11:47:44 BST

    Hi Platt

    Platt said:
    I've suggested changing the name of Pirsig's Intellectual Level to the
    Individual Level.

    Paul:
    I've thought about this, and I can't see how it would work. A simple
    example is when you look at defining characteristics of static
    intellectual quality, such as:

    "Intellectual quality measurements are logic, fittingness to empirical
    data, economy of statement, and what is sometimes called 'elegance' by
    mathematicians." [Pirsig, MOQ Textbook]

    ...what does this have to do with an individual?

    Why would philosophy, mathematics, theology, geometry etc. be defined as
    "individual patterns" instead of "intellectual patterns"?

    Paul