Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: ml (mbtlehn@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 22:11:27 BST

    David M:

    A teacher of mine once said that the problem
    in trying to think of an alternative to what one
    knows is the inability to forget what what one
    knows.

    This is a manifold difficulty in a situation like
    we have in this MoQ discussion group. You
    have your assumptions and implicit values
    that are attributes of those assumptions. I
    do as well and just the act of trying to agree,
    let alone debate, is fraught with a minefield
    of hidden ideological, political, academic,
    and other unidentified deadfalls. Any of us
    by ourselves is apt to not recognize these in
    our own thinking. Between any two this effect
    is multiplied. (This is why many threads seem
    to degenerate into ideological debates that
    depart from a more seemly and pure MoQ
    discussion.)

    In many ways, the MoQ is in its infancy and
    is far less compelling for the lack of rigor and
    depth/length of debate that it will have to show
    as its experience in say 20 years. We are just
    getting familiar with each other's terminology
    and misreading meaning and intent is a very
    turbulent loss of efficiency.

    Specifically, David, in our small exchange I
    have only one point to make which is that in
    the actions of the individual is the very most
    significant and moral choice to be made.

    To put it another way. My choices carry moral
    responsibility regardless of what organization
    I find myself working with and within.

    Otherwise, I acted unwisely in addressing what
    I believed were implicit value laden attitudes
    and terms in your posts without my making the
    differences in our respective uses EXPLICIT.
    My apologies for so doing.

    As to you statement that I "...have no idea what
    sort of limited life/society [I am] currently living
    in...[and I ] ...appear to have no idea of the scale
    of things [you are] talking about or what the difference
    between the current world, utterly grounded in
    SOM, could be compaed [sic] to another grounded in
    MOQ and open to a whole new level of freedom.
    Well that is obviously true, but then I believe that is
    true for nearly everyone. We've had little more than
    a teasing glimpse and we are playing with it every day.

    Read everything for several meanings...

    thanks--mel