FW: MD the metaphysics of self-interest

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 10:55:40 BST

    Hi Platt

    Platt said:
    In other words, while pure experience is non-conceptual (part of the
    conceptually unknown), it nevertheless plays an active role in what it
    feels like to be a human being (a sense of life).

    Of course, many non-conceptual senses can be attributed to the
    biological level, i.e., instincts.

    Paul:
    Agree, I think instinct is easily confused with Dynamic Quality and I'm
    not sure where to draw a line between the two.

    Platt said:
    Looking at evolution from the point of view of the capacity to
    experience, one could argue that what has evolved is not so much the
    depth of physical structures as measured by greater complexity but
    breadth of the psyche as measured by a greater range non-conceptual
    experiences.

    Paul:
    The MOQ certainly holds that evolution has surpassed physical
    complexity. I think evolutionary advances are characterised by a greater
    breadth of preferences, where the novel assertion of preference itself
    is that which is non-conceptual.

    Platt said:
    Acquiring "understanding" through experience is what the practices of
    Zen Buddhism try to achieve, although whether such practices are
    necessary seems debatable. As one sage put it, "Your everyday ordinary
    awareness. That is the Tao."

    Paul:
    And another said, "What is Zen? Nothing extra."

    Platt said:
    Anyway, what I'm trying to do, like the MOQ, is to relate non-conceptual
    understanding to what can be understood through reason. Do you think the
    thoughts expressed here have any potential to do that, or is this a
    tangent best left to fizzle out due to lack of grounding in agreement
    with experience, logical consistency, and economy of explanation? In
    other words, is "sense of" helpful in describing Quality, the
    indescribable?

    Paul:
    I think so, within limitations. In your favour, it is useful to remember
    that the MOQ stands or falls on the assumption that Quality is empirical
    which means it is capable of being "sensed" and not merely deduced.

    Cheers

    Paul