RE: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 09:38:38 BST

    Hi Mel

    Paul previously said:
    > Wealth is clearly linked with success enough for it be part of its
    > definition. To put it another way, I ask you the same question I asked
    > Platt - do you think intellectual quality is the most dominant measure
    > of success in western society?

    Mel said:
    After reflecting on the question I am going to have to say that I do not
    think wealth is the dominant measure, but rather CELEBRITY is.

    Paul:
    Also a social quality measure.

    Mel said:
    It will of course depend on the "community of interest" in which the
    measure of success is determined or traded upon. For political arenas
    ACCESS is a better measure For medicine, the Published Accomplishments
    For authors, the numbers sold or the recognition may surpass the $ For
    athletes in the short run $ may be part of it, but in the long run Hall
    of Fame, and such will be their more enduring legacy.

    Paul:
    The "community of interest" I was thinking of was society as a whole, or
    perhaps a nation as a whole. Perhaps this is too broad to be meaningful?

    Mel said:
    So, then subverting the social artifact of money to biological enjoyment
    is an immoral act...?

    Paul:
    I think so, when things get over-valued maybe, like a £20,000 bottle of
    champagne - how good can some fizzy grape juice taste? I think this kind
    of thing often provokes a "something wrong there" reaction with people.

    Cheers

    Paul