MF Topic proposal Apr 2K4.

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:51:58 BST

    A topic proposal:

    In understanding the metaphysics of Quality, there seem to be two competing conceptions of the
    relative place of dynamic and static quality.
    Conception 1: that Quality is the source, from which dynamic Quality and static Quality are both
    derivative aspects, of equal Quality, albeit that one is a temporal product of the other; and
    Conception 2: that Dynamic Quality is the source, and Static Quality is the derivative aspect, so
    Dynamic Quality is Qualitatively superior to Static Quality.

    I think Conception 1 is correct, whereas DMB thinks Conception 2 is correct, and that difference, I
    believe, underlies much of our disagreement re religion and mysticism. I think that this would
    benefit from further analysis.

    My questions:
    A) do the Dynamic and Static aspects have equal claim to the ascription Quality, or does the Dynamic
    possess more Quality than the Static?
    B) is it possible to discern which of these Robert Pirsig advocates?
    C) if it should be that Conception 2 is what he advocates, is it coherent and consistent with the
    presentation of Quality in ZMM and elsewhere?

    Sam

    MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    Mail Archive - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_focus/
    MF Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net

    To unsubscribe from moq_focus follow the instructions at:
    http://www.moq.org/mf/subscribe.html