MF Call for votes, renewed

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 17:33:35 BST

    Hi People,

    We have only had two votes in. They are for different topics. I'm extending
    the deadline for another 48 hours to see if more people are able to vote
    over the weekend. New deadline is Sunday afternoon, 4pm British Summer Time.
    If nobody else votes for one of the topics then I will choose one of the two
    that have so far been voted for. If either of the two people who have voted
    already want to change their vote, that's OK too.

    A reminder of the possible options, with Rick's new proposal added in first
    (#0)

    #0 from Rick
    1. In terms of Quality (the vocabulary of the MOQ), discuss what it means to
    be a cult.
    2. In terms of Quality (the vocabulary of the MOQ), discuss what it means to
    be a free-thinker.
    3. In terms of what you answered to parts 1 and 2, discuss why it is (or why
    it is not) possible to be devoted to a person, activity, or idea (like an
    organized religion, or a specific philosophy/metaphysics) and still consider
    oneself a "free thinker".

    ~~~~
    #1 from Case:

    Is "Quality" really a useful term?

    After reading ZMM I thought so; after reading through this site I am not so
    sure.

    Can a more appropriate term be found in the following list?

    Vanity of Vanities
    Chaos
    The Unknown
    The Way
    WTF?
    (_____ insert term here.)

    ~~~~
    #2 from Kevin Perez

    I would like to hear what others have to say about the MOQ's role in
    establishing, in the area of religion, a rational relationship between
    Quality and "the Godhead."

    In the area of Religion, the rational relationship of Quality to the Godhead
    needs to be more thoroughly established, and this I hope to do much later
    on. (ref. ZMM p. 231)

    So I propose the following questions.

    Has Pirsig established this relationship? If so, where? Was Lila, Part
    Three, an attempt?

    ~~~~
    #3 from Mark Maxwell
     "Is the belief that one has a Soul compatible with the Metaphysics of
    Quality"?

    ~~~~
    #4 from Mark Maxwell
    "If one behaved like a Christian in all respects but did not believe in God,
    who would be the higher Quality person - the believer or the other"?

    ~~~~
    #5 from Mark Maxwell
    "Is it possable to be a free thinker AND a devout Christian"?

    ~~~~
    #6 from Mark Maxwell
    "In order for Christianity to survive as a social pattern it must deny an
    Intellectual level for the MOQ. Such denials must, paradoxically, employ
    Intellectual patterns in order to succeed."
    Discuss.

    ~~~~
    #7 from Mark Maxwell
    "An MOQ analysis supports the surprising conclurion that Christians value
    narcissism, directly contradicting there own teaching."
    Discuss

    ~~~~
    #8 from Mark Maxwell
    "The church of England is a social organisation who's members do not live in
    the real world"
    Discuss from an MOQ percpective.

    ~~~~
    #9 from Mark Maxwell
    "An MOQ analysis suggests Christianity is a cult."
    Discuss.
    Cult n specific system of worship; devotion to a person, idea, or activity;
    popular fashion. Collins Gem English dictionary.

    Sam
    From the cowardice that shrinks from new truth,
    From the laziness that is content with half-truths,
    From the arrogance which thinks it knows all truth,
    O God of truth, deliver us.
    (Leslie Weatherhead)

    MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    Mail Archive - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_focus/
    MF Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net

    To unsubscribe from moq_focus follow the instructions at:
    http://www.moq.org/mf/subscribe.html