LS Re: Analysis and synthesis

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:58:59 +0100

Diana:

You've struck a chord close to my heart. How does art fit into MOQ?

Well, for me the whole thing is about art. Indeed, I think it's art
itself
since Pirsig uses the art forms of the novel and the symbol of Lila to
express his beliefs. No eye-glazing academically-sanctioned
philosophical
paper for him. He needs art to communicate the meaning of his
metaphysics.

Furthermore, the abstract concept of Dynamic Quality is almost
impossible
to communicate in rational, engineering prose. Like love and beauty,
it's
power is best depicted in music, poetry and visual expressions. In
fact,
for me the whole purpose of art is to create the feeling of Dynamic
Quality, a "Wow," "Awesome, "Aha," "Oh my God" feeling of sheer wonder
and
joy in realizing all of a sudden that you are one with the entire
universe
because all patterns for that moment have disappeared and you experience
the Dynamic Quality center of life.

As for where art fits into the MOQ scheme, Pirsig hints that it's the
next
level up from the intellectual level. But that perhaps is best left for
further discussion if you wish. I just wanted you to know now that I
share
your interest and believe in spite of all the heavy rational discussion
on
this site, art is truly at the heart of MOQ.

Regards, Platt

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk