LS Re: New Questions

Anders Nielsen (joshu@diku.dk)
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:13:19 +0100

> > Nothing is inventing anything! The levels have always been around,
> > dormant. They were not been able to manifest themselves though
> > until the next lower level was advanced enough to support them.
>
> Interesting. Does this mean that all possible levels have always existed
> in some realm beyond space/time, or on some unknown level above the
> intellect? Is this idea to be found somewhere in the MOQ?

The levels are inventions of Pirsig. They are superficial divisions of
Static quality. In my opinion there's only Dynamic Quality (the big "NOW")
and Static Quality (which is a sort of habit or memory). Like the infant
only experiences a big continuum of qualia at first, and gradually learn
to distinguish which objects are which (bottle,mother,father,bed,dog, etc..),
so are we all....We've just cluttered on so much Static Quality, that sometimes
we forget that there's any Dynamic Quality at all.

(When I say "Superficial" I mean it like the danish word "kunstig"..meaning
"man-made" or "not-a-part-of-nature-itself". Not with the connotation
"shallow" or anything like that)

--
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous.  If a man really wants
to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own

post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk