LS Re: The Intellect from Society "Theorem".

Magnus Berg (MagnusB@DataVis.se)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:30:14 +0100

Bodvar:
Yes, I agree that our society is needed to develop our intellect,
because
what we call intelligence requires much more than static intellectual
patterns
of value. It requires the ability to change them, dynamic quality. What
I try
to do, as I explained in my post yesterday, is to isolate the different
static
levels from dynamic, otherwise it's impossible to define them. What I
don't
agree with, is that our static intellectual patterns of value are
dependent on
our human society. I would still be able to think, even if the earth
vanished
and I was left in a space-suit.

BTW, you're quite right about the end of my unfinished sentence, so just
start crying. Were would you place neural activity in a MoQ framework?
Neural activity are used for communication between brain cells. And
communication needs a language so that the receiver understands what
the transmitter sent.

And isn't it you who are putting us humans on the demigod throne now?
You say that it's impossible to torture an animal and I assume you mean
even if you don't lift a finger to hurt it. Well, a friend of mine have
two cats
and when one of them was away for a few days, the other one was clearly
missing it. She still had an abstract image of the other cat and missed
what it represented. And as closer you get to humans on the evolutionary
scale, the more abstract thinking is possible, so were do you draw the
line?

About your suggestion in 4. That's what I'm doing. Trying to figure out
exactly
what the *static* levels are.

        Magnus

--