LS Re: On thrones and chairs ++

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:46:09 +0100

> Bodvar Skutvik wrote:
> Even pyramids are just heaps of stone now that its symbolic
> forming society (of people) is gone.

You're right. I've neglected the subjective nature of values. Hugo has
also given a good example of how objects are attributed different values
by different people.

As for the throne. Well, it is perceived to be socially valuable by some
people, but the social value is not intrinsic to the throne. The
inorganic values of the throne, however are intrinsic and can be
observed objectively.

Bodvar:
> (Sitting down) to decide what level
> each and every thing belongs and what subtle shifts takes place when it is
> moved from place to place baffles me). Let's call chairs merely sitting
> devices and thrones celebrity devices. So did Pirsig. Running the risk of
> Magnus boycotting me I uphold that this leads nowhere.

I have no intention of trying to decide which level everything belongs
to. The point is, as Hugo said, to understand how the MoQ deals with
objects. All we need to do is come to a conclusion about ONE object and
then we'll be done with it. A chair is as good an example as any.

In any case, if any of us has a question or difficulty with some aspect
of the MoQ, that in itself is reason enough to discuss it. Also, you can
guarantee that somewhere someone else will have the same question. If
the MoQ is to gain popular acceptance we'll have to deal with all these
questions and more. We might as well get the answers ready.

Diana

ps. As for comparisons between Western and Chinese culture. I tend to
avoid getting into conversations like this. When people ask me such
things, they have inevitably already decided what they want to hear and
if I don't say what I'm supposed to say they get annoyed. There's so
much BS written about China and Hong Kong. It's hard work fighting
people's misconceptions. Maybe I'll get round to it sometime, but give
me a chance to summon up the energy first.

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk