LS Re: The big NOW

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 02:39:11 +0100

> Platt
>
> >Peirce's "habits'" sound much like
> >Pirsig's "static latches." To point out that Dynamic Quality is itself a
> >static latch due to its duree or endurance is logically correct although
> >Pirsig says that DQ perceives static quality as evil and is itself
"always
> >new."

Hugo

>I am not sure I quite understand you here. There are many ways to picture
> Dynamic quality, depending on the level in focus. From the Zen kind of
> immediate and non-selfconscious acting to the seeming dynamics of the
> quantum world.

Yes, Dynamic Quality has many aspects depending on your point of view. I
was viewing it solely in the context of logic and Pirsig's metaphysics
where, by his own definition, DQ is a static intellectual pattern, creating
an internal contradiction, a paradox. He solves the paradox by saying that
DQ is pre-intellectual, i.e. mystic.

I tend to focus on paradoxes. I collect them like some people collect
stamps--a narrow focus to be sure.

Hugo

> I dont know which kind of mystic experience you had in mind, but the very
> act of conceiving an idea which may in some way be new to this world -
that
> is mystic to me.

I agree. The sudden flash of insight, the "Aha" experience, is DQ at work.
Humor is also a kind of DQ. Expected static patterns are suddenly flipped
to reveal another meaning, reminding us that all models of reality are
inherently flawed. Groucho Marx's joke "I wouldn't belong to any club that
would have me as a member" attacks all static systems of thought.

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk