LS Still on thrones and chairs

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 20:49:11 +0100

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> For Diana:
> Good that you found my last Throne&Chair entry OK.

Uh, not so fast Bodvar. I only wanted to be sure that I had understood
you before going further.

My original observation was that a throne was both social and inorganic
value. You observed that it is possible to perceive reality entirely in
intellectual, social, biological or inorganic terms. Fine, I agree. But
I don't see why this means that you can't say that a throne is both
social and inorganic value. In fact if reality can be perceived in I,S,B
or O terms then doesn't that mean that a throne can be perceived in
I,S,B or O terms and consquently there is no reason why I can't say ...
a throne is both social and inorganic value.

On p195 of LILA Pirsig says:

"Vice is a conflict between biologicial quality and social quality.
Things like sex and booze and drugs and tobacco have a high biological
quality, that is they feel good, but are harmful for social reasons.
They break up your family. They threaten the stability of the community"

Booze, drugs and tobacco have high biological quality? But surely they
are material objects so they are inorganic. As I see it they are both.
That's all.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk