LS Re: FAQ's?

Hugo Fjelsted Alroe (alroe@vip.cybercity.dk)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 20:10:40 +0100

Thanks for the inside notes on Pirsig, Bo.

> Most of you
>possibly know the "Guidebook" to ZMM where some hithereto unknown
>passages are printed.

I am embarrased to say that I dont know the guidebook - is it on the net?

>A FAQ list should have been done. That much is for sure, but who is
>trusted to deliver the right answers?

FAQ in the sense of a structure of ideas that we all more or less agree on
-right?
We will have to trust someone to deliver the first answers and then rely on
the powers of critical discussion and our own drive. I am sure this will be
a very difficult and ongoing task if we decide to pursue it. But it
probably is an integrated part of what this list is about - only bringing
out in the open what we are already doing in the ongoing discussions.
Perhaps we could use some of the mails in the discussion as germs for
initiating the FAQ.

If we cannot provide one agreed upon answer to a certain question, I think
the proper thing to do is to put all the two or more different answers we
end up with in the FAQ. This strategy of open undecidedness is used far too
little in the academic world - it has to do with the rationality blindness
I have spoken of before. In my oppinion a FAQ should not be a Jeopardy sort
of FLOA (final list of answers). (I hate Jeopardy - it is the very
archetype of the rationalistic idea that every question has a specific
answer and every answer is the answer to a specific question, completely
neglecting the issues of context, situation, and umwelt - all Jeopardy-fans
please excuse me.)

Hugo

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk