LS Re: DQ as flux: The Pre-Socratics?

Gene Kofman (gene.k@mailexcite.com)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 03:56:12 +0100

Doug wrote:
>I keep pushing the importance of quantum mechanics (QM) to my fellow TLS mates because
Pirsig's >MoQ is so incredibly like what I have read and know about the quantum world.

Exactly, I started reading about QM only after SODV and was very excited to see the
similarities.

>I think Pirsig did an excellent job of relating complementarity to MoQ (in SODV).

Yes, I appreciate Pirsig’s SODV presentation even more after I read couple articles
by Bohr.

>The double slit experiments described in the two subtitles I referenced above sound
to me awesomely >similar to the previous paragraph. The experiments can be set up
in such a way to allow the system to in >essence be superposed, wavelike. As soon
as the experiment tries to observe the (paths of the) wave >superpositions, a QE
occurs and the system latches to particle-like. I do not understand ("...nobody
>understands...") this completely, but it appears that when we observe the superposed
'quantum quality' >surrounding us the observed quantum wave functions experience
a QE and latch into reality. That is how >I see it. Perhaps now you can see why
I am so predisposed on this subject.

Bohr says that particle vs. wave experiments set up are mutually exclusive and we
have to live with ‘complementing’ results of one with the results of another. I like
the notion of non intellectual value patterns having DQ events. That’s what I meant
by ‘inorganic DQ’ in my previous post long time ago. Or is it the inclusion of the
Subject with his/her tools into the experiment what makes the DQ event possible?

>Now given that QM is the best we have and SOM types are having to convert to this
new reality, doesn't >QM give us a big fulcrum to leverage MoQ into acceptance?
I think it does.

Yes, I do agree. I think QM can be a starting point in any conversation about MoQ
with outsiders. Everybody respects QM and showing how it destroys SOM can naturally
prepare soil for salvation through MoQ.

Gene.

http://www.mailexcite.com

--