LS Re: The four levels

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:24:32 +0100

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> Diana wrote:
> > First. Several posts recently have discussed the relationships between
> > the levels. Bodvar summed it up saying that each levels raison d'etre
> > is to free itself from the level below. A few others have pointed out
> > how the levels depend on each other. I agree with all this but I just
> > want to point out that these are characteristics or descriptions of
> > the behaviour of the levels. They cannot be considered definitions of
> > the levels. As Maggie pointed out there may also have been/be other
> > types of value that have attempted to break away from the parent level
> > but have been unsuccessful.
>
> The riddle (if other types of responses to the various value patterns
> may have tried to manifest themselves) was quite a mind-blower. I
> never thought about that! For instance, after the "creation"
> (whatever form it took) when Inorganic value was sovereign, what else
> than "Life" could be the next step? Of course it is possible to
> imagine other FORMS of life, but something totally different from
> life? It beats me! And similarly; after Life had established itself,
> what else than Society (cooperation among individual life) could come
> on top of that? No matter how hard I speculate, I am not able to
> concoct a different outcome. As the dynamic drift is always to
> overcome the limitations of the parent level, what actually happened
> is the only possible outcome. That is my answer, but I am open for
> suggestions.

Well I haven't got any idea what an alternative to life would be. And
even if there was an alternative it would probably be inconceivable or
unrecognizable to us anyway so there's not much point in worrying about
it. All the same, I can't see that there's anything in the MoQ that
forbids it.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk