LS Re: Sv: AI and MoQ

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:57:13 +0100

Hi Anders!

Anders Nielsen wrote:
> What I meant wasn't really if they could use the 4 levels of static quality
> patterns, because they're very obviously human-centric. But is the central
> point of MoQ:
> That Quality is all there is, and the central division between static and
> dynamic quality.
>
> (the central point as I see it...I don't put much value to the 4 levels,
> because they're too fuzzy and human-specific)

I thought so too, until I stripped the fuzziness (the DQ) out of them, it
doesn't belong there in the first place. Try it Anders, then tell me what
you come up with.

> If aliens wouldn't be able to describe themselves that way, I don't think
> it's proper to call the MoQ a metaphysics...Then it would be more of a
> "conditions humans are under when describing the world" or even "a nice
> mental bucket, which humans can fit pretty much all experiences into", and
> then I think I'll give up TLS alltogether and go research if Kant did
> foresee the epistemological problems raised by QM or not (or something
> similar). Because to be a metaphysics means to be the foundation of all
> other thinking, and if MoQ doesn't live up to this (or at least have a very
> good reason why not) I don't think it would be worth pursuing.

100%!

> As far as I see it, the only thing able to percieve dynamic quality is
> humans or rather: sentient beings, but not societies, and certainly not
> atomic matter! (saying that dynamic quality for the inorganic static
> patterns is the quantum flux, is pure nonsense to me...Im sorry to sound so
> harsh, but really I don't understand what people mean when they say this).

I like your straightforwardness. I'll try to explain what I mean.

It seems that you think that for example quantum flux will be understood
one day and we will ba able to predict it accurately. I hope so too, and
I think it also, but I also think that a full understanding of quantum
flux will not enable us to predict everything. I think we will always have
some domain left that we don't understand.

This domain that we don't understand, I call DQ. It might sound
outrageous to move this border as we go along, it's supposed to be
the first and absolute split of Quality, of everything. But I see no
other way.

You also think that only sentient beings can percieve DQ, but that
brings up the mind-matter SOM platypus, (Hey Bo! My turn to preach :).
What in sentient beings enables them to percieve DQ? They consist of
nothing but non-sentient parts. I think it has to come from "beneath".

        Magnus

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk