LS Re: Sv: Sv: AI and MoQ

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:47:47 +0100

Anders Nielsen wrote:

> But would you or Pirsig claim that a rock strives towards a situation of
> higher quality, an "organic life"-ness?

Maybe it seems odd to think of a rock striving toward higher quality, but when
I consider the universe as a system of many kinds of matter spinning and
reacting to each other and DQ, and see that rock as part of that great
movement, it doesn't seem so far-fetched. I think it's the difference in
time scale that makes it hard for us as humans to perceive a rock's
perceptions. ;-)

At any rate, Pirsig's example of the most dynamic "rock" -- the carbon
molecule, which is balanced in such a way that it is not as susceptible to
static inorganic patterns, but was instead free to become the basis of
something radically different--is a small percentage of the inorganic matter
in the universe.

(I hope I haven't misunderstood your conversation and put my foot in my
mouth.)

Thanks!

Maggie

--