LS Re: Sv: Sv: AI and MoQ

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 06:03:48 +0100

Hi, Maggie and Anders and TLS!

Hettinger wrote:

> Anders Nielsen wrote:
>
> > But would you or Pirsig claim that a rock strives towards a
> situation of
> > higher quality, an "organic life"-ness?
>
> Maybe it seems odd to think of a rock striving toward higher quality,
> but when
> I consider the universe as a system of many kinds of matter spinning
> and
> reacting to each other and DQ, and see that rock as part of that great
> movement, it doesn't seem so far-fetched. I think it's the
> difference in
> time scale that makes it hard for us as humans to perceive a rock's
> perceptions. ;-)
>
> At any rate, Pirsig's example of the most dynamic "rock" -- the carbon
> molecule, which is balanced in such a way that it is not as
> susceptible to
> static inorganic patterns, but was instead free to become the basis of
> something radically different--is a small percentage of the inorganic
> matter
> in the universe.
>
> (I hope I haven't misunderstood your conversation and put my foot in
> my
> mouth.)
>
> Thanks!

Maggie,

I think your feet are pretty much on MoQ ground from what I can see. I
like your response to Anders above. Time (i.e., human-perceived
classical SOM time) IS probably the big consideration here for a rock to
manifest some QE path to organic life-ness.

Some examples that come to mind near the nebulous now:

Anders, have you ever skimmed a flat rock across a shimmering,
mirror-like pond? What is the rock doing? What is the water doing?
Better yet, in less SOM-like and more MoQ-like jargon, what are the
interrelationships between the two systems in time? Are there any
decisions going on? What is making the decisions?

Anders, have you ever noticed, on long walks in that beautiful land of
yours, the lichens on the rocks and boulders? Same question: what are
the interrelationships? Decisions?

Have you ever watched an avalanche?

Have you seen rock melt as it is consumed by lava flow?

Have you seen stalactites and stalagmites in caves? What if there is a
continuous, unidirectional, powerful flow of air through the cave?

What about smoothed and shaped rocks worn by rugged duty in a rapidly
flowing mountain stream? Or Niagara Falls moving further and further
inland because of water's erosive and corrosive affects on the granite
it hurdles so powerfully?

Have you ever played in a sand pile and built castles and fantasies?
Can you build castles with dry sand? Can you build castles with soupy
sand? Why? Does dry sand make different decisions than wet sand? Does
wet sand make different decisions than wetter sand?

Have you seen the effects of a fish's tail in your aquarium when it
races away from the sand on the bottom of the tank?

Have you ever closely examined the multitudes of shapes of galaxies,
clusters and super clusters? Why the different shapes? Why not just
one, standard shape? Any decisions here?

These are just a few of the things DQ accomplishes in time. Too, every
example above is a macroworld example.

If we move into the microworld of each example and view QEs from that
context/perspective we will see even vaster and more exciting micro-QEs
in the DQ quantum flux. There also, the interrelationships are making
value choices for 'better.' And it's happening everywhere in the
multiverse, continuously.

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.