LS Re: The four levels

Gene Kofman (its@icanect.net)
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 05:20:44 +0100

Magnus wrote:
> >From: Gene Kofman[SMTP:its@icanect.net]
>
> >I think we already did, when LS writes about interdependency and mutual
> >mediation of levels. It seems to me that level boundaries are not crisp,
> >they overlap. For example, it's very difficult to pinpoint were
inorganic
> >stops and bio begins.
>
> For me, the dependencies and discreteness between the levels are
> absolute and, with no religious content, sacred. Every time I've seen
> something that seemed to contradict this, I have been able to
> resolve it without touching this absoluteness.
You are right, and I have to rephrase myself (I liked your dimension
analogy too). Boundaries are crisp, but in our everyday experience we
encounter mostly combination of patterns, very rarely a one level pattern.
That's why I value that perception of reality as a constant re mix of the
patterns. And that notion of interdependency is more important to me than
the ability to split every combination into its components. Though, it's
very comforting to know that we can.

Gene.

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk