LS The next level

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:13:25 +0100

Hi LS:

Pirsig's reference to the possibility of a "code of Art" is in Chapter 13,
p.163 of my hardcover edition of Lila. It goes like this:

"First, there were moral codes that established the supremacy of biological
nature over inanimate nature. Second, there were moral codes that
established the supremacy of the social order over biological
life--conventional morals--proscriptions against drugs, murder, adultery,
theft and the like. Third, there were moral codes that established the
supremacy of the intellectual order over the social order--democracy, trial
by jury, freedom of speech, freedom of the press. Finally there's a fourth
Dynamic morality which isn't a code. He supposed you could call it a 'code
of Art' or something like that, but art is usually thought of as such a
frill that the title undercuts its importance. The morality of the brujo in
Zuni--that was Dynamic morality."

Could the MoQ be the next level, trying to establish supremacy over the
subject-object metaphysics of the intellectual level, necessarily including
the SOM level but transcending it?

So far Bo and Doug are open to the idea; Magnus and Diana less so.
Hopefully others on the LS will share the benefit of their views on this
question. The more who participate, the more we all learn.

Thanks.

Platt

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk