LS Re: Quality Event

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 18:57:31 +0100

Hi Maggie!

Hettinger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need some help with the Quality Event, which we've talked about, and
> I've
> looked back through past LS letters. I 'm still not clear on it.

> Thanks!
>
> Maggie

Maggie,

I think this is great! An actual attempt by you (one of TLS) to apply
MoQ in one your own contexts.

I did not check the content of your work for goodness, but I found the
following on the QE in SODV:

"In the Metaphysics of Quality the world is composed of three things:
mind, matter, and Quality. Because something is not located in the
object does not mean that it has to be located in your mind. Quality
cannot be independently derived from either mind or matter. But it can
be derived from the relationship of mind and matter with each other.
Quality occurs at the point at which subject and object meet. Quality
is not a thing. It is an event. It is the event at which the subject
becomes aware of the object. And because without objects there can be
no subject, quality is the event at which awareness of both subjects and
objects is made possible. Quality is not just the result of a collision
between subject and object. The very existence of subject and object
themselves is deduced from the Quality event. The Quality event is the
cause of the subjects and objects, which are then mistakenly presumed to
be the cause of the Quality!" and

"The most striking similarity between the Metaphysics of Quality and
Complementarity is that this Quality event corresponds to what Bohr
means by 'observation.' When the Copenhagen Interpretation 'holds that
the unmeasured atom is not real, that it’s attributes are created or
realized in the act of measurement,' ( Herbert xiii ) it is saying
something very close to the Metaphysics of Quality. The observation
creates the reality." and

"'the possibility or 'tendency' for an event to take place has a kind of
reality——a certain intermediate layer of reality, halfway between the
massive reality of matter and the intellectual reality of the idea or
the image ... it is formulated quantitatively as probability and
subject to mathematically expressible laws of nature.' ( qtd. in
Jammer 44 )"

You should also read Bo's treatise on the 'Quality Event.'

For me, the above paragraphs say it in a way upon which I cannot improve
other than to express my own models, examples and other interpretations.

Without the QE we get no latching. Without the QE we get no SPoVs.
Without the QE Ss and Os (wouldn't exist in the first place, but if they
did) are forever unaware of each other. There is no MoQ reality without
the QE. Without the QE there is no Quality! DQ is profuse, unending,
massively parallel, ubiquitous QEs spawning the SQ we call SPoVs.

Mtty, Maggie, and much good luck on this bold enterprise,

Doug Renselle.

> --
> post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk

"...the Metaphysics of Quality does not insist on a single exclusive
truth.  If subjects and objects are held to be the ultimate reality then
we're permitted only one construction of things--that which corresponds
to the 'objective' world--and all other constructions are unreal.  But
if Quality or excellence is seen as the ultimate reality then it becomes
possible for more than one set of truths to exist.  Then one doesn't
seek the absolute 'Truth.'"

Robert M. Pirsig Page 100, "Lila" hard-bound, Bantam, 1991.

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk