LS Re: Quality Event

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:53:48 +0100

Hi!

I need some help with the Quality Event, which we've talked about, and I've
looked back through past LS letters. I 'm still not clear on it.

I'm writing a paper, and I need to put brief background info. I'm ok 'til the
last sentence, I think, (although if you catch anything else, please tell me).
Here's what I plan to use:

Brief background of Metaphysics of Quality (MoQ).

MoQ involves a non-dualistic way of perceiving reality, quite different from
the subjective/objective viewpoint that underlies Western thinking and
language. In MoQ, the primary division of all existence is dynamic/static.
The undifferentiated reality, the undefined, pre-existing source of all things
is referred to as Dynamic Quality--not a thing, but the event at which the
subject becomes aware of the object and before he distinguishes it. Dynamic
Quality is is a non-intellectual awareness, a "pre-intellectual reality".
"Substance" is replaced in MoQ by "static patterns of value", sometimes
referred to as "patterns". All life is described as a migration of static
patterns of value toward Dynamic Quality . MoQ recognizes four discrete
evolutionary levels of those static patterns of value:

Intellectual ( I )
Social ( S )
Biological ( B )
Inorganic ( i ).

Each of these levels offers freedom from the constraints of the level below it,
but each is also dependent on the levels below it for its existence. There are
five types of struggle between different levels of Quality: chaotic-inorganic,
inorganic-biological, biological-social, social-intellectual, and
static-dynamic.

The Quality Event (QE) is the point at which....

Static and Dynamic Quality interact. ???????
OR
or static patterns of value interact with other levels or DQ????????

Which is it?

Here's the same question in a the context of a different passage:

In general, the application of MoQ insight to social theory seems to offer the
possibility of sorting out conflicting forces into component parts that are not
otherwise seen.

The leader/follower relationship is a social pattern of value. Leadership is a
social pattern that utilizes the non-social behavior or insight of one person
to mediate the social patterns of a group, thereby giving freedom from the
constraints of static social patterns, creating new ones.

The initial connection between leader and follower may be formed by a Quality
Event at any level, but must be maintained by the social level.

The Leader experiences DQ, creates a DQ-mediated intellectual pattern (the
insight), transfers that to an intellectually-mediated social pattern
(message), shares it with someone. If the person internalizes it, and sets up
and maintains a social relationship with the leader, a static social pattern is
maintained. If a group of people, a sub-culture, adopts the message, it is
referred to as a "routinized charismatic message".

Here is the question again, context from the paragraphs above:

What is the second person's (the follower's) experience? I'm asking about the
important, meaningful experience that sets the relationship? Is it a DQ
event, or an intellectual Quality event? Or a social Quality event?

I expect that most of us think (or have thought) it is DQ. Do you still think
so?

I welcome anything on this, whether it's the LS's usual cogent comments, or
stray thoughts. Even red pencils would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maggie

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk