LS Re: Before Static Quality

Bodvar Skutvik (skutvik@online.no)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:43:16 +0100

Martin.
Before the second instalment of your essay is available I will not
comment it, but allow me a few general thoughts about your "Before
Static Quality" entry. It seems that you take the Big Bang
creation myth dead seriously. I am not saying that it is wrong or
that the Steady State is more MOQ-like, but bear in mind the short -
limited at least - lifetime of such theories (best before year
2000).

The insight that made young Phaedrus of ZMM leave his scientific
studies was that there are a limitless number of theories that fit
any observation. "Truth is an Intellectual static pattern" says
Phædrus of LILA. We must not be seduced into believing that there
is an absolute (objective) "endlösung" to ANYTHING; only the ever
better one. To press the point home, take for instance the theory of
what makes the sun shine. Every schoolboy knows (Bateson!) the
nuclear fusion model, but is it THE truth? Couldn' a still greater
context change all that?

The way you (and Hugo speak) about the event that allegedly took
place when the singularity expanded into the present universe is very
SOM-causation-like: In LILA (p.107) Pirsig mentiones a quality
version of various scientific disciplines; for instance quality
physics where " A causes B" is replaced by: "B values precondition A"
without it changing any facts of science at all. What this will have
to say for the speculations about the emergence of the material world
I only have some faint outlines of, but as usual does the Quality
notion turn everything inside out and upside down.

Good luck with your examinations!

Bo

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk