LS Re: Quality Event

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:22:25 +0100

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> > Richard Dawkins (his name has recently appeared in other posts here)
> > invented the term 'meme.' Meme is an idea or concept which propagates
> > in sentients as a (good and/or bad) viral thought. It latches in minds
> > and then experiences DQ and mutates much in the way we have discussed> the QE
> process recently.

I just did some "web surfing" for this concept, which can do only a very limited
justice to it, but thought I would share this Dawkins snip, found in its entirety
at

        http://www.spacelab.net/~catalj/extend.htm

The Extended Phenotype, The Long Reach of the Gene, by Richard Dawkins
        1982"Genes manipulate the world and shape it to assist their replication.
It happens that they have 'chosen' to do so largely by moulding matter into large
multicellular chunks which we call organisms, but this might not have been so.
Fundamentally, what is going on is that replicating molecules ensure their
survival by means of phenotypic effects on the world. It is only incidentally true
that those phenotypic effects happen to be packaged up into units called
individual organisms."
                                                        ----R. Dawkins

This sounds to me like a very MoQ version of reality from the point of view of the
biological level. What it lacks is the overall upper-level and DQ vision. This
lack of vision makes the higher-level organization seem "only incendental".

Please, take this with a grain of salt. I haven't read the books yet. They're on
my list now.

Maggie

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk