LS Re: FAQ - Metaphysics and all that

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:29:21 +0100

Doug Renselle wrote:

> > What is a metaphysics?
> >
> > A metaphysics is a theory that explains the fundamental nature and
> > structure of reality.
> >
> Diana, could we put the partial tree of philosophy here?
>
> Higher level is - Philosophy
> Below it is - ...Ethics_Logic_Metaphysics_Aesthetics_Epistemology...
> Next under Metaphysics - ...Cosmology_Ontology_Philosophical Theology...
> Next under Ontology -
> ...Western ISMs_Idealism_Materialism_Dualism_Eastern ISMs...
>
> The elipses show that the levels are extensible, incomplete.

This seems unnecessarily complicated. I don't see that these "levels"
clarify the explanation. A metaphysics is an explanation of reality -
it's simple enough.

> In the original list of FAQs, I asked the question a little
> differently: "Does Lila have Quality?"

<snip>

This is really a different question but I agree it's important to make
it clear that Quality has Lila and not Lila that has quality. Thanks
for pointing it out.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk