LS Re: Hello!

Hugo Fjelsted Alroe (alroe@vip.cybercity.dk)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:43:58 +0100

Thanks for your interesting mail, Mark, and velcome to the Lila Squad!

I definitely share your fear of letting reason and intelligent discussion
get the better of us. And yet reason are our main tool for getting across
to one another, at least in this media. It is a conflict we have to keep
being aware of. From time to time there has been attempt at showing the
'feeling' part of our MoQ-lives, and I do believe we all have that intense
feeling part of turning MoQites, to use Doug's term. I certainly has
experienced my journey from a more traditional upbringing toward something
like Metaphysics of Quality as much more than a rational decision. And yet
intellect plays an essential role in my personal metaphysical revolution -
I am still in the midst of trying to sort these things out.

>Like Pirsig, I fear that an MoQ dialectic dual with SOM intellectuals
>can never be "won." We seek the Good, which is not necessarily true.
>We're Sophists, out to better humanity, not chase the ghosts of reason.

I find myself in the same position, ethics being a major motivation for my
effort in metaphysics. But, even though the prospects for such an
intellectual duel (dual was an error, right?) looks bad, not due to the
arguments in stock but due to the interests and structures of power
involved, I see no other way but entering the battle zone. Regarding true
versus Good, I believe this schism is resolved by way of MoQ having a
different view of truth, we might discuss this at some point.

> I'd like to know if there are LS'ers
>interested in threads which explore the original goals of the Sophists?
>For example, are the values and morals of capitalism the best we can do
>for humanity? Are corporations moral? How can we better understand
>the environmental movement with MoQ? Ozone depletion for example. For
>years our society did little about the problem because "not all the
>facts were in." Science was unprepared to rule on it. Yet most of us
>FELT that the hole in the ozone was wrong, didn't we? We should have
>acted from that feeling rather than wait.

I dont know 'the original goals of the Sophists', but as I have said,
ethics and sustainability, and the relationship between those 'matters of
feeling' and rationality is a major part of how I see MoQ. In other words -
I am interested.

Hugo