LS Re: The self (was Catechism or FAQ)

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:52:19 +0100

Maggie,

I'd like to write "Don't panic" in large friendly letters but I'm afraid
the font wouldn't get through.

> What I've been coming around to, for the past few weeks, makes it seem that
> the patterns posess me. And if it is the strength of competing sets of
> patterns that causes my attention, my ability to choose, or ability to
> evaluate, then "I" am nothing. I don't like this very much.

Yes, the patterns posses you, because you are the patterns. Your collection
of static patterns is the unique set that defines Maggie Hettinger. You
have accuired these patterns (at least some social and intellectual) by
selecting them using DQ.

Whenever two opposing static patterns, of different or the same level,
are equally strong, DQ comes along and makes the final decision. It's
this equilibrum I call the evolutionary path. Only here can real
Dynamic progress happen. Outside of it, things are too static to change.
Pirsig says that without DQ, things cannot grow, and without SQ, things
cannot last. The evolutionary path is where it all happens.

> It came up in my group dynamics class, that even in high-functioning,
> "effective", creative groups, (which I took to mean those groups that
> regularly visit the intellectual/dynamic range) there is a necessary step in
> beginning an effort that requires the group to identify goals that it can
> attempt. NOT create them, but identify. So, again, who or what is running
> the show?
>
> This is not the same feeling I originally got from MoQ.

Do they really identify *goals*? Isn't the goal the means with which they
overcome an identified *problem*? I think this is a more positive view
because it requires the group to dynamically *create* the goal. I mean,
the reason to reach the goal is because it isn't the current state.
The current state has problems.

> The original feeling is more like this: It feels powerful to be able to
> discern currents and patterns. It seems as if I have more control. Also, I
> have more ability to put myself in the path of surprise and wonder because
> I am not so attached to a particular outlook (ev. level focus). I can shift
> as desired, surf on currents of my choice to keep my balance.
>
> I'm not sure where to go with this, so I'll just stop.

Your "path of surprise and wonder" sounds like my evolutionary path. It is
the place where new thruths are born and old ones become prejudices.

        Magnus

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk