LS Re: The self (was Catechism or FAQ)

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:29:24 +0100

Diana McPartlin wrote:

> Bodvar Skutvik wrote:
>
> > 15. If the world is composed of values then who is doing the valueing?
> >
> > No one in the Subject/Object sense, but to a human being who
> > straddles all quality levels, only one is highlighted at a time.
> > Bodily sensations, needs or urges (instincts) bring focus to the
> > Biological level. Impulses from the social "body" we identify w h,
> > bring focus to that value plane. In our culture the focus dwells
> > mostly on the Intellect;

Where I live, the focus dwells mostly in the social.

> reality is tinted by the attic window
> > glass, but attention shifts easily.
>
> ...which begs the question: Who's doing the focusing?

Maybe we're getting to the true meaning of those words that are so hard to
remember to say: "will be posessed by"
"A human who has been raised in
a society will also be possessed by social values. These values may be
recognized in the form of beliefs, behavior, speech patterns, customs
and so on. Humans raised in most modern societies are also possessed
by intellectual value."

What I've been coming around to, for the past few weeks, makes it seem that
the patterns posess me. And if it is the strength of competing sets of
patterns that causes my attention, my ability to choose, or ability to
evaluate, then "I" am nothing. I don't like this very much.

It came up in my group dynamics class, that even in high-functioning,
"effective", creative groups, (which I took to mean those groups that
regularly visit the intellectual/dynamic range) there is a necessary step in
beginning an effort that requires the group to identify goals that it can
attempt. NOT create them, but identify. So, again, who or what is running
the show?

This is not the same feeling I originally got from MoQ.

The original feeling is more like this: It feels powerful to be able to
discern currents and patterns. It seems as if I have more control. Also, I
have more ability to put myself in the path of surprise and wonder because
I am not so attached to a particular outlook (ev. level focus). I can shift
as desired, surf on currents of my choice to keep my balance.

I'm not sure where to go with this, so I'll just stop.

Maggie

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk