LS Re: Catechism or FAQ

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:02:00 +0100

> Hi Magnus, Bo and squad

You guys triggered something for me. Again.

When I read peoples' explanations of social interactions and other
observations, when they list several examples, they quite often choose
words that imply (to me) that they are choosing examples from different
evolutionary levels (or interactions between them).

Example: When people write about group dynamics, the structures and
patterns that are labeled "good" are what I consider patterns that are
valued within the struggle between social and intellectual. "Bad" is
given to patterns of interaction that are common within the
social/biological struggle. The way it's used around here, "cooperative"
is described as what I would call intellectual/social, "competitive" is
social/biological.

(I think this good/bad labeling is dangerous, naive and the cause of many
problems, but that's another story).

This goes along with what Bo wrote in answer to FAQ question #15
 (If the world is composed of values then who is doing the valueing?):

"No one in the Subject/Object sense, but to a human being who straddles
all quality levels, only one is highlighted at a time." --Bo

It seems to me that in the world of people, the essential thing to notice
is WHICH SIDE OF THE BREAK the person or group is functioning on.
Depending on this factor, results of interactions are distinctly
different.

My point here is to ask whether this breakpoint phenomenon, which seems to
me to be so crucial and informative, operates between the other levels.

This is what you said:

> Putting the FAQ aside for a moment, I have to ask you to elaborate
> on this. If the division of inorganic patterns into energy and matter
> is SOM. Isn't the division of organic patterns into plants and animals
> SOM too?

You just mentioned plants and animals in the same breath. Is this a
breakpoint delineation?

Are animals patterns that function in the struggle between the social and
biological?

Are plants patterns that function between the inorganic and biological?

This seems plausible to me. Now, the next step is this:
Is this energy/matter division in any way formed by a breakpoint?

Is matter the set of patterns that operate within the struggle between
inorganic and chaos?

Where does that leave energy?

This just popped into my head this evening, kindof bright and shiny.
Feel free to whack away <grin>.

Maggie

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk