LS Re: Simplified FAQ

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:29:41 +0100

> >How is Dynamic Quality expressed in each level?
> >In the Inorganic level, it's expressed as light, in the Biological level
as
> >birth, in the Social level as play, in the Intellectual level as art.

Martin asked:

> I must have missed something, but how did you figure out that these are
the
> expressions of DQ in each of the static levels? (I know Pirsig mentions
the
> light when one dies, that's about it.) In fact, what is an "expression"
of
> Dynamic Quality in Static Quality? These are all static patterns, thus
they
> are opposed to DQ, right?

Yes, static patterns are opposed to DQ. Pirsig says their overall purpose
is to retard DQ. However, he also says in the SODV that DQ pervades all
levels, and throughout Lila he speaks about the various levels responding
to DQ such as in Chapter 15, "From a cell's point of view, sex is pure
Dynamic Quality, the highest good of all." It's this ability of each level
to respond to DQ that drives the evolutionary process I deduced the
expressions of these responses--light, birth, play and art--from readings
in Lila, such as: "In the Metaphysics of Quality, however, this light is
important because it often appears associated with undefined
auspiciousness, with Dynamic Quality."

Platt

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk