LS Re: another question

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:33:38 +0100

Martin asked:

> I have another question that I just thought of while I was re-reading
Lila.
> Each level is evolutionarily advanced from the ones above because it is
more
> free. DQ is of course absolute freedom and spontaneity, and all values
are
> trying to reach it (because it is the ultimate Good). Biological values
are
> more free than Physical values because they are the first values to be
given
> the ability to not exist. Physical values are strict and rigid and
cannot
> disappear, only change form. Biological values introduce the freedom to
> exist or not exist, just as a thing can be alive or not alive.
Intellectual
> values are above Social values because they give the freedom of will and
the
> freedom of individuality (among other things). But, what allows social
> values to be above biological values? It seems that social values do not
> introduce more freedom, but rather, they take it away. Social values are
> all about life values adhering to rules, regulations, laws, mores,
> principles, belief systems, relationships, etc. etc.

Social values are above biological values because social values introduced
language, giving awareness freedom to express and manipulate sensory data
not physically present. Pirsig is quite clear about language being a social
pattern when he tackles the mind/matter platypus in Chapter 12 of Lila:

"Mental patterns do not originate out of inorganic nature. They originate
out of society, which originates out of biology which originates our of
inorganic nature. And, as anthropologists know so well, what a mind thinks
is as dominated by social patterns as social patterns are dominated by
inorganic patterns. There is no direct scientific connection between mind
and matter. As atomic physicist, Niels Bohr, said, 'We are suspended in
language.' Our intellectual description of nature is always culturally
derived."

Incidentally, you might ask Mike if he values his own arguments. Since he
can't deny that he does, you'll demonstrate that he, like everyone else,
agrees about Quality.

Platt

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk