LS Re: Martin & Mike

Murdock, Mark (Mark.Murdock@Unisys.Com)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:51:54 +0100

> Yet he continues to insist on first principles and rational
> proofs for the existence of "Quality."

This is equivalent to asking for proof of God. You are arguing faith
here, not logic. How do you ask someone resolutely planted in the
classic quality "box" to look upstream into romantic quality? How do
you get the motorcycle mechanic to see the art in his work? You can't
with intellectual bread crumbs, he must experience it, I think. He must
be ready to take the leap. Since this is not practical in the context
of your e-mail discussions, try this: Ask Mike for the principles and
rational proofs for love.

> Then how do you get them to step outside of the intellectual circle?
> He's a
> materialist, so I always tell him his ontology falls into determinism,
> which
> he really hates. He doesn't like hearing that, he tries to argue
> around it.
> But you can't get people to step outside of 'rationalizing' for some
> reason.
> They don't seem to care about what's practical, what's Good.

Zen teachings are a start. Mike knows there's more to life than
reasoning. Deep down, we all do. Impress upon him your desire to
subsume as Doug says other philosophies. Surely he can agree to the
good in a GUT equivalent of metaphysics. If so, he must be willing to
admit that there are times in his day where he's not reasoning, right?
Tell him you want to discuss those moments.

Mike sounds like a great guy. When the time is right, he'll see where
you're coming from with all the intensity of a supernova. Make sure he
has your phone number when this epiphany occurs.

Mark