LS Re: PROGRAM Basics of the MoQ

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 20:02:31 +0100

Hettinger wrote:

> Diana McPartlin wrote:
>
> > PROGRAM Basics of the MoQ
> >
> > Aim = establish the basics.
> >
> > The first aim of the Lila Squad must be to establish the basics of the
> > MoQ. As I've said from day one, if we don't have some sort of agreement
> > on the basics then any subsequent discussion is open to
> > misinterpretation and confusion.
> >
> > Method = develop principles
> >
> > I propose that in order to reach this aim we establish a set of
> > principles. I believe that it is only by trying to state clearly what
> > you think that you force yourself to examine what you think. I also feel
> > that the nature of the MoQ is such that it is impossible to talk about
> > one part of it without talking about every other part at the same time.
> > The only way to deal with the whole thing at once is to reduce it to its
> > barest elements, ie principles.
> >
> > If anyone's got a better method, speak now.
> >
> > Diana
> >

> I nominate two documents as being "basic".

Bo's and Platt's documents are fine as far as they go, but there are two
problems with them. Firstly they are both too long, there is plenty of
editing that could be done especially on Bo's. Platt's meanwhile has
questions and answers that may occur in a FAQ but which can hardly be
considered basic to the MoQ. Second, neither is a complete picture of
the MoQ. The MoQ isn't something that you can understand 90% of. Every
part of it is connected to every other part. The basics have to cover
everything, or else they don't cover it at all.

Lila is the basic text, fine. But, as has become very apparent on the
LS, it is open to interpretation in many different ways. That's why we
need to go through it again and isolate the elements and express them in
our own words.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com