LS Re: The Principle of Quality

Dave Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:11:57 +0100

Diana
> Here's my revised principle of Quality:
>
> Quality is both reality and the force that creates reality. Quality is
> the ethical principle of the "Good". Thus, reality is a moral order.
>

> Comments anyone?

My snips of Pirsig's quotes on the Big Q run like this.

"Quality is the continuous stimulus which our environment puts upon us to
create the world in which we live" ZMM page 245 (Bo has indicated he doesn't
like to lean to strongly on this one because it is from an earlier, unrefined,
or concept stage of Pirsig thoughts, but I still think it carries much truth.)
"Quality is the primary empirical reality of the world” Lila-pp 67
“Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to intellectual
abstractions.” Lila-pp 64
“Quality was value. They were the same thing” Lila-pp 58 “ ..Quality is
morality.” Lila-pp 97

Your composite principle of Quality hits all these points. The problem I have
with saying "Quality is reality" is the potential for confusion when you move
on to talk about individual reality. I think we all agree with the concept
that quality, on an individual level, consists of "many truths" or "many
paths" each, nonetheless, tiny slice of overall Quality.

How about this. I think it says essentially the same thing.

Quality is both the origin of reality and all that is real. Quality is a moral
order; ever evolving towards higher, more ethical, levels of "Good"

I'm sending you directly an updated version of the graphic MoQ. It is an
animated gif which I think is easier and clearer to read online.

Dave

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com