LS Re: Subjective and objective

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:12:18 +0100

Hi Lars

> | It wasn't intended as a dismissal really, but I guess it could be
> | interpeted that way depending on your view of AI.
>
> I did interpret it that way, I must admit. It was especially this part
> that struck me so:
> "[...] we inhibited them from being intelligent by building them so
> static that it is impossible for them to exercise any dynamic choices
> of their own. We have crippled them by specifying the voltage levels
> for ones and zeros so wide apart that there's no chance for Dynamic
> Quality to have any influence whatsoever."

See what you mean...

I guess you could use the Hitch Hiker's approach, a hot cup of tea
as dynamic input :)

Anyway, this does raise a very interesting question. Something
that we haven't talked about for a while and I don't remember
if we reached a conclusion. The question is:

Where does the dynamic unpredictability of Quality Events come from?
Does it originate in the Quality Event of the specific level or from
the inorganic representation of the Quality Event?

I realize that both my "dismissal" above and the hot cup of tea approach
assumes the latter but I'm not at all sure about it. I guess it's the
reductionist in me that speaks.

The term mediation on the other hand assumes the former. Mediation was
introduced by Maggie some time ago and means that patterns of a higher
level affects patterns of a lower.

Also, the diagram in SODV suggests the former. Pirsig writes,
"This seems the best way to represent it.". Maybe we're not able
to decide it at all. It would mean a definition of an aspect
of DQ and that's off limits.

One way to relate subjectivity/objectivity to MoQ is to scale it
down the static ladder. The higher the level, the more subjective a
pattern is and vice versa. The problem comes when you literally
fall off the edge of reality below the inorganic level.
Pure objectivity suddenly becomes *very* dependent on the observer
which it isn't supposed to be.

I hope I'm not confusing things for you after Hugo's most clarifying
post yesterday. I guess I could elaborate some if you don't follow,
what I write doesn't always reflect my line of thought :-}

        Magnus

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com