LS Re: Quality and Energy

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:32:16 +0100

Hi Platt and TLS,

It is good to see the flood of TLS email again! I sense a lot of
clearer and more rested minds. Diana's imposed hiatus was very good for
all of us. And, Platt, I agree with you! Diana shows exemplary effort
on our behalf. We appreciate her more than she knows.

Platt Holden wrote:

> Doug wrote (Jan 8),
>
> When I move to MoQland, I find my MoQlikeness puts things (static
> patterns)
> IN Value. In MoQland, we say that Value has things.
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> From a physics viewpoint, would you say that things (static patterns)
> are
> also IN energy? That energy has things?

Platt,

Again, I am not a physicist, I just study it for fun. Thus there are
many holes in my mental armor. Given that...

Recently I mentioned VED on TLS. VED is Vacuum Energy Density. You may
find ample information about VED by searching on the Casimir effect.
Casimir was a Dutch physicist who was a student of Niels Bohr. Recent
experiments show it is a valid effect.

Note: a few of our more artistic TLS members have spoken of flux
vis-a-vis DQ. VED is THE source of flux. Richard P. Feynman used this
to invent the meme of virtual particles, a necessary precept of his QED
or Quantum Electro Dynamics. Physicists now take this for granted as an
indispensable part of their quantum tool box.

My perspective of VED is that it fills VES or Vacuum Energy Space. Yes,
VES surrounds us. Yes, Platt, we are in it! Yes, energy HAS things!
It is a metaphor for DQ. (Does this help you see why I am so
'energetic' about the quantum world? It is, from what I can see so far,
in nearly perfect duality with MoQ!!!)

As I have (hopefully, subtly) also averred recently, VED/VES are further
evidence of the multiverse as conjectured by Hugh Everett in the 1950s.
To learn more, fast, about the multiverse, read David Deutsch's 'The
Fabric of Reality.' Note: This book won the P.A.M. Dirac Prize. See
my review of it at www.amazon.com.

The estimated energy density of VES is extraordinary. It is
approximately 10^93 grams per cubic centimeter. I have not run the
comparative calculations, but that's a LOT of energy.

One simple comparison: there are about 10^80 atoms in our local
universe. An atom weighs (assuming an average 58 nucleons and
neglecting electron mass) 10^-22 grams. I think we can run the entire
Earth for a fairly long time on the energy in one cubic centimeter of
VES. So when someone tells you there is an energy shortage...:)

(Squad: I apologize for the SOM language above. Even quantum
physicists still refer to macroworld things as 'particles.' As you will
see below, there is an apropos alternate language. Again, as Bohr
noted, we DO have a [SOM] language problem.)

Doug Renselle.
> If so, does it follow that Value (Quality) is energy, i.e., a moral
> force?
> Is there a connection?

Platt,

>From my self-trained perspective, Platt, it is much more complex than
that. It is probably still undefinable.

In a way, what you say is very close to the right MoQ metaphoric
interpretation of VED, but just as Pirsig discovered when he tried to
define DQ -- there is more, much more.

For TLS your conclusion is probably adequate.

As we spend more time together, I hope as Bo does that physicists with a
bent for MoQ will help us here. I want to contribute to better
understanding and better models of the relationships twixt the two MoQs.

I am working on the detail duals now. This work tells us there are an
infinity of n-dimensional harmonic oscillators. When these become
'aware' of each other and interfere with one another we get something
like a Quality Event (QE). Physicists call this (remember Zeillinger's
article which Matt Workman pointed us to late last year?) the 'special
event.' Depending on the frequencies of the oscillators the latch may
or may not produce what we perceive in the macroworld as (ugh, I hate to
use this Aristotelian term) 'substance.'

If you allow your mind to see the harmonic oscillators as patterns, it
is not too much of a stretch to see that what we call substance is
latched static patterns of value (SPoVs).

Regarding VED/VES as a moral force is easy for me, but for many I doubt
that concept is even in the realm of possibility. Those folk mentally
addled by the SOM-substance legacy disallow in their repertoires the
possibility of substance awareness. As most of TLS may be aware, this
issue is fundamental to MoQ.

There, Platt, you have my conjecture.

Does that help Platt?

May I be so bold as to ask the Squad to define the term 'fecund' using
the Latin and Greek roots. See if you get the same bolt of lightening I
did -- that ancients, our antecedents, already intuited what I just
wrote above.

Platt, I appreciate your simple, direct, excellent questions. I
apologize for my verbosity. I need to work on that.

Mtty, Platt, and all of TLS,

Doug Renselle.
> I value your comments. Thanks.

Platt,

I value yours immensely!

Doug.

--
"Faithful quantum mechanics do not fear singularities."

1 January 1998, Doug Renselle.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com