LS Principles - Update

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:20:44 +0100

Dear Jason, Magnus, Lars, Bodvar, Platt, Keith, Doug R, Maggie, Jeff,
Hugo, Gene, James, Dave, Martin, Ken, Ravi, Anthony, Steve W, Peter,
Richard, Maartin, Samuel, Steve H, Mary, Doug B, Patrick, Ciona, Darryl,
Mark, Shannon and the lurkers

Having managed to goad most of you into writing a set of principles the
next stage is to consolidate these into something we can all agree on.

I had hoped we could go through the points one by one, but that doesn't
seem to have worked. So after going through everyone else's principles,
I've put together draft consolidated version. Yes this reflects my own
views more than anyone else's, but I can't help that. The discussion
simply must have some structure and this is the best way I can think of
to do it.

Can I ask everyone to focus on this document and point out where you
think it should be changed. Please bear in mind that the emphasis should
be on simplicity and clarity. I do plan to write a more user-friendly
explanation of the MoQ at some point for the benefit of newbies. But
that will come later. Once we've figured out what the MoQ is ourselves,
then we can try explaining it to other people.

1. Quality.
Quality is reality. Quality is the ethical principle of the good. Thus
reality is a moral order. Quality, like reality, is known to us as
awareness. As such, it is impossible to define.

2. Value.
Value is a synonym for Quality. Value encompasses what are usually known
as causation and substance. Value is neither a subject nor an object
but what creates subjects and objects. A value-based metaphysics
explains reality better than one that divides reality into an inner
subjective realm and an outer objective realm because it integrates
subjects and objects, mind and body, science and art and many other
anomalies. Value is understood through the sense of value.

3. Dynamic Quality and static quality.
The best way to divide Quality is into patterns of Dynamic and static
value or experience. Dynamic Quality is pure unfiltered experience.
Static quality is stable distinguishable experience. Dynamic Quality
creates the world; static quality preserves it. Dynamic Quality is more
pleasing than static quality. Dynamic Quality is more moral than static
quality.

4. Static quality.
Quality became manifest in our world by an evolutionary sequence of
Dynamic Quality Events. Left in the wake of these events were four
static levels of evolution -- inorganic, biological, social and
intellectual. Each level is a static pattern of Quality, organized and
governed by its own moral laws -- the laws of physics, biology, culture
and reason respectively.

5. Static awareness.
Each higher level evolved from the lower level but has become a discrete
level. From the point of view of any level it is only possible to
evaluate phenomena at that level.

6. Static morality.
The levels at a higher stage of evolution are more moral than levels
below. Intellectual patterns take moral precedence over social patterns,
social patterns over biological and biological patterns over inorganic.

7. Static dominance.
Because each lower level is unable to evaluate levels above it, it
considers itself to be the most moral and strives to dominate other
levels.

8. Dependency.
When a higher level attempts to assert its moral dominance over a lower
level, it must be careful that it does not endanger the stability of the
lower level on which it ultimately depends for survival.

9. Evolution.
To create ever higher levels of awareness, Dynamic Quality strives for
freedom from all static patterns. Freedom is the highest Good in the
Metaphysics of Quality. Life is migration of static patterns of quality
toward Dynamic Quality.

10. Self.
The self is undivided Quality, encompassing both Dynamic and static
patterns. As with Quality, the self is both one and many.

11. Proof.
It is impossible to refute that Quality is reality without asserting a
value.

:-)

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com