LS (No subject)

Martin Striz (striz1@MARSHALL.EDU)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:16:19 +0100

Hello LS,

I was just going over the first published version of the
principles when the 11th statement caught my eye:

11. Proof. It is impossible to refute that Quality is
reality without asserting a value.

I may have missed the conversations about this, but I'd like
to know what exactly it means. First of all, it doesn't
make much sense, because if we define Quality as being the
event of awareness (when we are confronted with values and
construct our reality [remember the "analogues" from ZMM]),
then no proof is necessary. As long as it is true that
reality exists (which I don't think we'll find much
disagreement about, save for some hypocritical nihilists),
then "Quality is reality" must be true. Of course, there is
no "proof" for why we define it that way, Pirsig himself
admitted it was an assumption. He simply reversed the
previous assumption of SOM thinking. It works better,
that's the reasoning behind it.

I also don't understand the "without asserting a value"
part.

Cheers,
Martin

--