LS Re: Sorry, But Your Soul Just Died (or "I need a genetic fix!)

Jason Gaedtke (jgaedtke@gb.frontiernet.net)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 07:55:52 +0100

On Friday, January 16, 1998 10:44 AM, steveho [SMTP:steveho@concentric.net]
wrote:
> Forthcoming: An abstract regarding brain imaging, neuroscience, and the
> search for the self (or soul, or mind, or free will) and with it perhaps
> Phaedrus' ghost.
>

> --
> post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com

Steve,
Thanks for the teaser, but the concept of a "soul" has been dead for some time.
 None the less, I'm anxiously anticipating your contribution.

For an excellent treatment of this subject, I highly recommend two very
approachable (and well-know) books. First, Hubert Dreyfus's "What Computers
Still Can't Do (1992)" (an updated edition of the original classic "What
Computers Can't Do (1972)"). Also, see William Barrett's "Death of the Soul:
>From Descartes to the Computer (1986)."

For earlier work on this subject, I would suggest going all the way back to the
Phenomenologists (Husserl, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, and (especially!)
Merleau-Ponty). Merleau-Ponty's writing is highly academic and intellectually
challenging, but it's the closest thing I've found to Pirsig's fundamental
concepts in the world of academia. (Pirsig's Quality Event corresponds well
with Merleau-Ponty's concept of Situation. Again, this post is just a
teaser... The comparison can be extended ad infinitum!) Would anyone else
care to comment on this observation? (Hope so, since I'd love to discuss this
issue further. In particular, I'm wondering if Pirsig himself has ever been
exposed to Merleau-Ponty's thought.) Comments?

Regards,
Jason

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com