LS Re: Subjective and objective

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:50:38 +0100

Magnus and TLS,

See one comment below:

Magnus Berg wrote:

> Hi Lars
>
> > | It wasn't intended as a dismissal really, but I guess it could be
> > | interpeted that way depending on your view of AI.
> >
> > I did interpret it that way, I must admit. It was especially this
> part
> > that struck me so:
> > "[...] we inhibited them from being intelligent by building them so
> > static that it is impossible for them to exercise any dynamic
> choices
> > of their own. We have crippled them by specifying the voltage levels
> > for ones and zeros so wide apart that there's no chance for Dynamic
> > Quality to have any influence whatsoever."
>
> See what you mean...

> Where does the dynamic unpredictability of Quality Events come from?
Magnus,

I don't think anyone answered this one -- if they did, I missed it.

I want to at least try -- try to give one possible view.

I think it comes from the complex state of the environment at each QE.
That state is never the same for any QE, and each QE interferes with and
changes future states of that complex environment.

Doug Renselle.

--
"At the center, generating the waves, was Quality."

By Robert M. Pirsig, in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' p. 188, Bantam (paperback), 28th edition, 1982.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com