LS Re: Pursuit

Samuel Palmer (spalmer@fundy.ca)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 07:46:29 +0100

> The Metaphysics of Quality
> 2. The MoQ is the intellectual path to enlightenment. It is the nature
> of the intellect to define things. Thus the purpose of the MoQ is to
> define reality. The MoQ pursues the intellect so that the intellect may
> be transcended.

    The importance of this last sentence may have been overlooked: "The
MOQ pursues the intellect...". In my opinion this resolves many
questions surrounding the MoQ.

> "The purpose of the MoQ is to define reality"

- Or re-define reality, in terms that are inclusive of all aspects of
human endeavor, that were formerly divided.

> "The MoQ is the intellectual path to enlightenment"

- Or the intellectual resolution of meta-intellectual quality
(enlightenment). The MoQ is something like a "static acknowledgement of
dynamic quality", to facilitate the expansion of intelect into a larger
scope.

A question to play with:

    Pirsig is vague about where religious experience is placed within
the Inorganic-Biological-Social-Intellectual chain. Could he have been
suggesting, in an underhanded way, that Religion, or Religious
Experience, is what's next?
     I bring this up because in ZMM, Pirsig speaks of his Quality in
terms of endearment that are comparable to all kinds of religious
experience.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com